I’ve spent this long weekend consumed with light fixture construction for Jeremiah’s Restaurant. I figured it was an appropriate time to take you on a little walk-through, from concept to near-completion.
This all started a couple months back with a contest. There’s a new restaurant opening in Hartland, NB (home of the world’s longest covered bridge). The owners approached the college looking to have a competition to create a feature light. My teacher signed us up and we all got to work designing our individual lights.
It was a great spot to design for. An old church, with a large recess in the ceiling, measuring 9′ x 9′. So much potential. I came up with this design which I presented to them along with the rest of my classmates.
A week and much anticipation later, they deliver the verdict. They chose my design and so I was given the prize and budget to construct the piece. I immediately started ordering reed, buying up dye, salt, all the necessities.
The dyeing was the first challenge as it wanted to turn either red or green, not the rich browns I had selected. It turned out to be all a matter of salt content. Many kgs of salt later, I achieved the perfect colourway.
The next step was to weave the spheres. Random weave is a beautiful, undulating technique. You take a piece of reed and make a couple of rings with it, which you hold in place with wire. Then you take more reed and weave over under, over under, over under. You get nice curls and added strength by doubling back on yourself. It sounds simple but it really is.
I anticipated needing about one hundred, but as it turned out I needed only sixty-one. With a lot of help from Warren, my Mom, and some fellow students I was able to complete that phase on Thursday. Phew!
I finished it off with a little hole at the top for the globe to fit through, then flipped it back over to tidy up loose reed and cover any large holes. I left that big sphere at the front detachable so the lightbulb can be changed.
So today if the rain holds off for long enough I am going to take it to school and spray it with lacquer. Then it will just be a matter of testing out the light fixture that will hang inside.
I couldn’t be more pleased. It was originally supposed to be more spherical, but just by the nature of the material and variety of ball sizes, it ended up a little squatty on the top side. As it turns out this means I can get it out the door and won’t have to split it in half for transport, which I was a little concerned with. It works on the premise that each ball holds the one next to it, so if I cut it in half it might settle out of shape.
Just check out those shadows! I expect the piece will be picked up in a week or so, so I’d better get to school and take care of those finishing touches!